Dance Well is Akademi’s 3-year community participation project funded by the National Lottery through the Big Lottery Fund.
Dance Well provides regular opportunities for adults to attend dance and movement sessions, partnering with charity organisations, care homes, day centres and hospitals, as well as community learning and education providers.
The project focuses on three main areas:
• Those living with dementia
• Older adults with little physical activity and who may be isolated in the community
• Those living with poor long term heart and lung health.
Dance Well’s Aims:
• To encourage older adults to participate in moderate physical activity of 150 minutes per week.
• To promote greater social engagement and well-being amongst older adults.
• To increase health and fitness of older adults.
• To provide opportunities for those living with dementia to engage with creative and cultural material.
• To provide high quality resources for dance artists working within arts and health.
• To advocate for greater investment in dance for health in the wider community.